Get Naloxone

Where can I get naloxone?

SB501, which went into effect on August 28, 2017 (click here for more information) authorizes all Missouri pharmacies to dispense naloxone under a statewide standing order issued by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services to any patient without an outside prescription. Prior to SB501, pharmacies were only authorized to dispense naloxone without a prescription with a Missouri licensed physician protocol (Both CVS and Walgreens had statewide standing orders in place in September and December of 2016, respectively). However, this does not necessarily mean that every pharmacy will stock naloxone so we advise calling your local pharmacy to confirm availability.

How do I get naloxone?

Any person who voluntarily requests naloxone from a pharmacy for themselves or to assist a person experiencing an opioid overdose is eligible to purchase naloxone, with or without a prescription (click here for Missouri’s standing order).

To get naloxone from a pharmacy:

  1. Call to confirm the pharmacy stocks naloxone.
  2. At the pharmacy, ask to speak with a pharmacist about naloxone. While every pharmacy has their own protocol, the pharmacist must provide overdose education (overdose risk factors, how to recognize and respond to an overdose, and how to use naloxone) when dispensing naloxone.
  3. The pharmacy may be able to bill your insurance, even without a prescription. While most insurances will cover at least a portion of the cost of naloxone, every insurance plan has different billing requirements. Your pharmacist can contact your insurance company to discuss any payment questions.


A limited supply of naloxone is available for free through:

MO-HOPE Project

The MO-HOPE project offers training and tools, including naloxone, for overdose prevention and reversal to diverse professional and community audiences. If your agency is interested in receiving naloxone through the MO-HOPE project, please fill out the MO-HOPE Naloxone Request Form.

*Please note, the MO-HOPE Project has a limited supply of naloxone and we may or may not be able to meet the request of each agency.


NCADA is a non-profit community health organization that provides individual assessments, treatment referrals, community awareness and other services aimed to reduce and prevent the harms of alcohol and other drug use. Call 314-962-3456 or send an e-mail request to to schedule a time to meet with a counselor for free Narcan (including a brief training on how to administer).

  • NCADA has two offices (open Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m):

Main Office
9355 Olive Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63132

Franklin County Office
3033 Highway A, Suite 102
Washington, MO 63090

Missouri Network for Opioid Reform and Recovery  (MONetwork) 

MONetwork is a non-profit outreach center located in St. Louis City that offers open-door harm reduction-based overdose education sessions weekly. Free naloxone is available upon request. Call 844-Rebel Up (844-732-3587) or send an email request to  to schedule an appointment (walk ins also welcome).

Missouri Network for Opiate Reform and Recovery
4022 S. Broadway
St. Louis, MO 63118
844-Rebel Up (844-732-3587)


Community health centers, free and charitable clinics, public health departments, federally qualified health centers, and other nonprofit providers nationwide may be eligible to receive intramuscular naloxone through Direct Relief (, 1-800-676-1638)


*If you are aware of any resource offering naloxone that is not yet listed above, please contact Sarah Phillips at